The One Minnesota Agenda
Children and families are our top priority.
Every Minnesotan deserves access to affordable, quality child care. And they deserve to live in a community that allows them to put their children first. That’s a smart investment for all of us—and our future.
Too many families struggle to find child care they can afford and to take leave to be with their children when they are born. Minnesota has some of the most expensive and hard-to-find child care services in the country, especially in rural areas where whole communities may be devoid of child care options. This is more than a family challenge—it’s a social and economic issue for our state. It impacts parents’ ability to work, families’ ability to achieve financial security, and children’s readiness for kindergarten. We know that there is no smarter investment for our state than ensuring our littlest citizens have access to safe, robust care whether from their parents or child care programs that allow parents to continue to work and remain independent.
The Walz Flanagan Administration will support families by working to make child care more affordable and accessible for all. Tim and Peggy will:
- Increase the Child and Dependent Care tax credit that is available to low-income families to help cover the costs of child care.
- Increase income limits for the Child and Dependent Care tax credit to make sure more Minnesota families can get the support they need to work and care for their kids.
- Fully fund and forecast the Child Care Assistance Program.
- Remove red tape and fees that make opening and running a child care program unnecessarily difficult and costly.
- Create a Child Care Innovation Center, which will offer seed funding, training, and technical assistance to folks who want to start a child care program.
- Support progressive paid parental leave policies, so that all parents are able to stay home as they welcome a new member to their family.