The One Minnesota Agenda
Energy, Environment, and Climate
Working together to build a sustainable and just future for our environment and for all Minnesotans.
Creating a sustainable future does not require picking winner and losers. It requires us to work together. We can combat climate change, protect our lakes, rivers, and streams, and build an environmentally just Minnesota, but only if every Minnesotan has a seat at the table and has the opportunity to have their voice heard.
All too often environmental issues—from climate change to public land management—are framed as issues that divide us. Rural versus urban. Pro-job versus pro-environment. These are false divisions. We are One Minnesota.
In Congress, Tim represented a rural district but he also worked tirelessly to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and protect our public lands since his first day in office. He did this by listening to his constituents, finding common ground on complex issues—everyone wants clean air and clean water—and building broad coalitions to support environmental policies that benefit us all.
Minnesota has long been recognized for its environmental stewardship and as Governor and Lt. Governor, Tim and Peggy will continue to address our environmental issues head on and work with all Minnesotans to create solutions.
The Walz Flanagan Administration will:
- Expand the Renewable Energy Standard to end our dependence on fossil fuels. Minnesota already gets 21% of its energy from renewable sources. And thousands of Minnesotans from all over the state now work in the clean energy economy. To continue to grow this sector, Tim and Peggy support increasing our renewable energy standard to ensure that by 2030, at least 50% of our energy comes from renewables.
- Reduce carbon emissions in all sectors to fight climate change. Tim and Peggy support reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 80% by 2050 and as Governor and Lt. Governor, they will work to make sure that we reduce emissions in all sectors of the economy.
- Work with farmers on clean water solutions across Minnesota. Farming is vital to Minnesota’s economy. Farmers are great stewards of the land and Tim and Peggy will work alongside them to enact policies and programs that support innovative farming practices, like cover crops and drainage water management, which clean our water and improve a farmer’s bottom line.
- Fight for energy justice. The environmental challenges facing Minnesota often have a disproportionate impact on low-income Minnesotans, communities of color, the elderly, and children. These impacts amplify the economic and health challenges these communities face. As Governor and Lt. Governor, Tim and Peggy will incorporate the values of environmental justice and robust stakeholder engagement initiatives across the State’s Executive Branch agencies.
- Follow Minnesota’s processes when considering new projects. Minnesota has one of the most stringent environmental review processes in the country. As Minnesota is considering new energy projects, Tim and Peggy will follow these processes before making any decisions.
- Advocate for tribal rights while assessing Minnesota projects. Tim and Peggy have been working from the beginning to make sure that tribal concerns over Line 3 are heard and addressed. Tim submitted a letter to the Public Utilities Commission expressing his concern that tribal rights be respected through the review process.